School uniform statement
Due to the Special Educational needs and disabilities of the children at Saxon Wood school, it is optional for parents to purchase a school uniform for their child.
Children can attend school in comfortable clothing, because those with sensory sensitivity may find certain clothes itchy, heavy or tight which can lead to a sensory overload.
However, for those parents who chose to purchase a school uniform, as a school, we have a duty to make sure that the uniform parents can choose to buy is affordable, in line with statutory guidance from the Department for Education on the cost of school uniform.
We understand that items with distinctive characteristics (such as branded items, or items that have to have a school logo or a unique fabric/colour/design) cannot be purchased from a wide range of retailers and that requiring many such items limits parents’ ability to ‘shop around’ for a low price.
We will make sure our school uniform:
- Is available at a reasonable cost.
- Provides the best value for money for parents/carers.
We will do this by:
- Carefully considering whether any items with distinctive characteristics are necessary.
- Limiting any items with distinctive characteristics where possible.
- Limiting items with distinctive characteristics to low-cost or long-lasting items, such as ties.
- Considering cheaper alternatives to school-branded items, such as logos that can be ironed on, as long as this doesn’t compromise quality and durability.
- Avoiding specific requirements for items pupils could wear on non-school days, such as coats, bags and shoes.
- Keeping the number of optional branded items to a minimum, so that the school’s uniform can act as a social leveller.
- Avoiding different uniform requirements for different classes.
- Avoiding different uniform requirements for extra-curricular activities.
- Making sure that arrangements are in place for parents to acquire second-hand uniform items
- Avoiding frequent changes to uniform specifications and minimising the financial impact on parents of any changes
- Consulting with parents and pupils on any proposed significant changes to the uniform statement and carefully consider any complaints about this
If parents do wish to purchase a school uniform for their child (Jumpers and/or a fleece jacket), please ask the school office for further details.